LANAP Laser Periodontal Procedures
Another recent development in periodontal treatment is the use of laser to regenerate tissue. Utilizing the body’s own natural ability to “heal itself”, Dr. Mize utilizes PerioLase™ for the Laser Assisted New Attachment Procedure (LANAP™). Performed without a scalpel and sutures, LANAP™ creates an environment for regeneration of the tissues around your teeth (gum, bone, cementum, ligament) that are lost due to periodontal disease.
The laser therapy works by targeting only diseased gum, which it discerns by the color. Diseased gums are darker than healthy gums. The laser is then used to agitate the healthy tissue, encouraging it to reattach to the bone. Because of the regrowth of this connective tissue, there is also a much lower chance of gum disease returning than with traditional surgery.
Due to the ability of the laser to target and remove only diseased tissue, Dr. Mize is able to help restore you to health with no post-operative pain and fewer side effects and risks than traditional surgery. This is in conjunction with a detailed homecare program that is described below.
LANAP™ Post-Operative Instructions
- Anti-microbial rinses and antibiotic medications may be prescribed for you. Take any prescribed medications according to directions and continue taking until all meds are gone.
- Reduce physical activity for several hours following surgery.
- Periodontal laser procedures usually result in little or no discomfort following surgery.
- For the first 24-hour period immediately following surgery, take two (2) Advil or Motrin (Ibuprofen) every 4-6 hours even if you do not have any pain.
- For the first 24-hour period immediately following surgery, stay on a liquid diet only. For the following 3-7 days after surgery, a soft diet is recommended. Try to eat soft but nutritious foods such as eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese, malts, ice cream, etc. Stay away from spicy and “chippy” foods. It is also important to maintain good fluid intake during this period.
- Carefully avoid chewing food in the areas of the mouth where the laser has been used for at least one week following surgery. One of the most important results of laser surgery is the blood clots that form following surgery. It is extremely important not to dislodge the tiny clots that form in and around the gums.
- Do not be alarmed with any color changes or appearance of tissues following laser therapy. Tissues can be gray, yellow, red, blue, purple, or “stringy” and reflect normal response to laser treatments.
- Rinse as directed with Paroex morning and night. In between, it is OK to rinse gently every three (3) hours with warm salt water (1/2 teaspoon of salt dissolved in an 8oz. glass of warm water). Do not brush or floss your teeth until instructed to do so (see Treatment and Home Care sequence sheet).
- Try to keep your mouth as clean as possible to help the healing process. Brush, floss, and follow other home care measures in all the areas of your mouth except for the surgery area.
- Do not apply excessive tongue or cheek pressure to the surgery area.
- Light bleeding
- Slight swelling
- Some soreness, tenderness, or tooth sensitivity
- Medicinal taste from Peridex or Periogard
Please call the office at Sunset Periodontics & Implant Dentistry Phone Number 803-794-7520 if you are experiencing any of the following signs and symptoms:
- Prolonged or severe pain
- Prolonged or excessive bleeding
- Considerably elevated or persistent temperature
Do not be alarmed that beginning within two weeks after therapy and extending as long as one year or more, the teeth may become sore, tender, or sensitive as the bone and ligaments around the teeth regenerate and become more firm. This is a sign of healing but may also indicate the presence of a bite imbalance that may need to be adjusted.
If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to call us! Sunset Periodontics & Implant Dentistry Phone Number 803-794-7520
Sunset Periodontics & Implant Dentistry
The laser therapy was essentially painless. Easy to follow instructions after the procedure. Good results.
- Gwen D
Great job Great teamwork Most considerate
- Ervin W
Everything explained, questions and concerns addressed. No pain during procedure and very little afterwards. Received two calls checking on me but I was away from home doing fine.
- Gwen D
I absolutely loved my visits, from my very 1st appointment, I was made to feel at home and cared for.
- ty w
Laser treatment is expensive, but worth it, to me. If you have the gum and teeth problems I had, I recommend such treatments. And, the pain was very minimal, and the recovery was fast.
- Julian, Prof. of Physics, Emeritus S
Dear Travis, Welcome to our Community! First, I need to say that Rusty's and your staff are the most warm, empathetic and competent individuals around. Regarding my recent laser procedure, let me say that over the past 30+ years, I have had at least two of the conventional procedures done by Rusty. Although he made it as comfortable as possible, the procedure had its inherent pain and post-operative inconveniences. On the other hand, the recent laser surgery you performed on me two weeks ago was totally painless and the only post-operative care involved taking an antibiotic and using a mouth rinse twice a day. What a difference!! It was wonderful to know that at my one week follow-up, things were progressing better than expected. I highly recommend this new procedure you are offering and thank you and your staff for providing such good care. Gratefully, Jay
- Jay M