LANAP Laser Periodontal Procedures
Another recent development in periodontal treatment is the use of laser to regenerate tissue. Utilizing the body’s own natural ability to “heal itself”, Dr. Mize utilizes the PerioLase™ for the Laser Assisted New Attachment Procedure (LANAP™). Performed without a scalpel and sutures, LANAP™ creates an environment for regeneration of the tissues around your teeth (gum, bone, cementum, ligament) that are lost due to periodontal disease.
The laser therapy works by targeting only diseased gum, which it discerns by the color. Diseased gums are darker than healthy gums. The laser is then used to agitate the healthy tissue, encouraging it to reattach to the bone. Because of the regrowth of this connective tissue, there is also a much lower chance of gum disease returning than with traditional surgery.
Due to the ability of the laser to target and remove only diseased tissue, Dr. Mize is able to help restore you to health with no post-operative pain and fewer side effects and risks than traditional surgery. This is in conjunction with a detailed homecare program that is described below.
LANAP™ Post-Operative Instructions
- Anti-microbial rinses and antibiotic medications may be prescribed for you. Take any prescribed medications according to directions and continue taking until all meds are gone.
- Reduce physical activity for several hours following surgery.
- Periodontal laser procedures usually result in little or no discomfort following surgery.
- For the first 24 hour period immediately following surgery, take two (2) Advil or Motrin (Ibuprofen) every 4-6 hours even if you do not have any pain.
- For the first 24 hour period immediately following surgery, stay on a liquid diet only. For the following 3-7 days after surgery, a soft diet is recommended. Try to eat soft but nutritious foods such as eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese, malts, ice cream, etc. Stay away from spicy and “chippy” foods. It is also important to maintain good fluid intake during this period.
- Carefully avoid chewing food in the areas of the mouth where the laser has been used for at least one week following surgery. One of the most important results of laser surgery is the blood clots that form following surgery. It is extremely important not to dislodge the tiny clots that form in and around the gums.
- Do not be alarmed with any color changes or appearance of tissues following laser therapy. Tissues can be gray, yellow, red, blue, purple, “stringy” and reflect normal response to laser treatments.
- Rinse as directed with Paroex morning and night. In between, it is OK to rinse gently every three (3) hours with warm salt water (1/2 teaspoon of salt dissolved in an 8oz. glass of warm water). Do not brush or floss your teeth until instructed to do so (see Treatment and Home Care sequence sheet).
- Try to keep your mouth as clean as possible in order to help the healing process. Brush, floss, and follow other home care measures in all the areas of your mouth except for the surgery area.
- Do not apply excessive tongue or cheek pressure to the surgery area.
- Light bleeding
- Slight swelling
- Some soreness, tenderness, or tooth sensitivity
- Medicinal taste, from Peridex or Periogard
Please call the office at Sunset Periodontics Phone Number 803-794-7520 if you are experiencing any of the following signs and symptoms:
- Prolonged or severe pain
- Prolonged or excessive bleeding
- Considerably elevated or persistent temperature
Do not be alarmed that beginning within two weeks after therapy and extending as long as one year or more, the teeth may become sore, tender, or sensitive as the bone and ligaments around the teeth regenerate and become more firm. This is a sign of healing, but may also indicate the presence of a bite imbalance that may need to be adjusted.
If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to call us! Sunset Periodontics Phone Number 803-794-7520
Sunset Periodontics &
Dr. Mize and staff genuinely care and want to insure the patient is comfortable and confident. Before surgery the pocket was a 8 and now after couple of months its now a 3.
- Delores J
Admittedly, when I scheduled Dr. Travis Mize to perform laser surgery on two of my back molars - I was naturally a bit apprehensive in regard to the procedure. However, I can now say with confidence that Dr. Mize is extremely competent and professional from beginning to end. The procedure was painless (my main concern) and much to my amazement – the pain (and recovery) was minimal afterwards. On a scale of 1-10 (with ten being the most severe) – my pain level was 2-3, which only lasted for about two hours at the most, that is – after the numbing sensation diminished. This was nothing that a few ibuprofens couldn’t handle; however, an unnecessary prescription for hydrocodone was called in as a precautionary measure. Later that evening, Dr. Mize was kind and compassionate enough to contact me to see how I was getting along. I do realize that view is subjective; however, I have had enough oral procedures in the past, some of which were quite painful and involved a significant amount of recovery time, to compare this to. Overall, I only have positive comments in regard to Dr. Mize. Simply put, I highly recommend his services.
- Kendell H
Dr. Mize and his staff did an excellent job with me during my laser procedure. I really appreciate how they care for you after you go home. Dr. Mize called to check to make sure I was alright. The have a great staff.
- Robert G
Dr. Mize recommended that I have Lazer Surgery to correct a problem that I was having with my gum. Since I already had extreme "White Coat Syndrom", I was pretty terrified. Upon arriving at the office the day of the surgery I was greeted by Dr. Mize's very caring and reassuring staff. They made me feel very comfortable, even though I was still quite frightened. When Dr. Mize came into the room he gave off a quiet confidence that allowed me to become calm for the duration of the surgery. He and his staff had told me at my pre-surgery visit that I should not worry, the procedure would be easy and painless. They were right, I experienced no pain. Dr. Mize even called me that evening after the surgery to make sure I was ok. Dr. Mize is a wonderful doctor and his entire staff is pretty great too.
- Connie C
Welcome Dr. Mize! I recently had a laser procedure. My time in the office was minimal and the procedure and recovery was quick and painless. I highly recommend this treatment and Dr. Mize. Sunset Periodontics is blessed to have an expert in this innovative field.
- LaVonda W
State of the art procedures by a specialist at the top of his field, what more could a patient ask for?!
- Donald P
Was referred over to Dr. Mize's office by my Dentist. Sunset Periodontics, got me in for an initial consultation within a few days time. My prognosis was confirmed by Dr. Mize, and the corrective procedure required was explained fully. As to treatment, my procedure was performed by laser. I left with little to no pain and no stitches required! Nobody ever looks forward to having to be treated by a Periodontist! However, as to the quality of care... I could not be more pleased!
- Arthur F
In July of 2016 I had a LANAP procedure performed. At my April 2017 checkup I am pleased that my recovery is proceeding as expected. I am very satisfied with the results. Also very satisfied with Dr Mise and all of his staff.
- Steven Z
Friendly, professional and liked that everything is explained. An overall good experience.
- Carla H
I have been a patient since 1979 and have always been very satisfied with my care. The office environment is always a joy to visit.
- Guy J
Great staff and a great doctor,took me in early 30 minutes before my appointment.I feel that I'm in great hands.
- Angelo C
The entire staff is amazing! The laser therapy is awesome and pain-free. As usual, you made me feel at ease and did a superb job!
- Beth R
Thanks for all you do.
- Jean S
Great people painless Thank you Dr Mize and Julie
- Angelo C
The staff and doctor were very attentive to my comfort and made sure everything was explained to me. The procedure overall was painless.
- Molly M
JUST HAS LASER THERAPY FOR TWO AREAS OF MY MOUTH. EVERYTHING WENT WELL. HAD FOLLOW UP AND DR. MIZE FOUND HEALING AS EXPECTED. VERY HAPPY WITH RESULTS AND WITH DR. NEWTON'S CHOICE OF DR. MIZE. I AM A PATIENT OF MORE THAN 32 YEARS AND IT HAS BEEN A TIME OF GOOD CARE.
- JACQLUELINE R
very pleased with professionalism and caring attitude of staff, I consider these folks my friends
- James F
I had laser treatment on my gums it was painless and my results were excellent. I had no down time after my treatment. I should have had it done years ago. Dr. Mize and his staff were very professional and caring. I highly recommend them to anyone needing periodontal care.
- Ronnie s
I have used this practice for many years. Dr. Mize and staff continue to provide excellent peridontal care with an efficient but always friendly service. They take great "pains" to ensure the "painless" in painless dentistry has a real meaning.
- Jeff B
The laser therapy was essentially painless. Easy to follow instructions after the procedure. Good results.
- Gwen D